Thursday, September 23, 2010

In Which I Learn That I Have In Fact Caught the World's Largest Minnow

'em mystery fish turn out to be, thanks to the guy fishing for carp with oatmeal at the dam yesterday, fallfish.

They're the largest member of the minnow family. I think sometimes these get called chub, or suckers, and the mouth still doesn't look right for what I was catching. Whatever.

I thought that when I left my camera at home yesterday I'd be sure to catch a monster, and have no way to take a picture. Instead, I also forgot my pliers, so that meant I had half a dozen 3" redbreast sunfish take all three treble hooks. You can't even just yank the hooks out and kill the fish because they're too little, and you can't get ahold of them. All released, more or less ok, after my deft surgical skills were called into play. And it rained some, which was good. Total: 3 bass under 8", maybe 20 redbreast sunfish.

I'm taking two days off, fo'reals, 'til I have time to go somewhere a little more productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment